Web and Sheet-Fed Printing
Drew & Rogers can be your single source for all of your digital and offset printing needs.
We offer fast turnarounds at competitive prices, a wide variety of color, size and finish selections, and can accommodate any order size. We utilize the best printing processes for all of the products we produce, which allows us to provide our customers with the best quality and price. Ask about warehousing, kitting, assembly and print-on-demand solutions too! For over 70 years we have been here for our customers, helping them find cost effective and timely printing solutions.
Digital printing refers to methods of printing from a digital-based image directly to a variety of media. It usually refers to professional printing where small-run jobs from desktop publishing and other digital sources are printed using large-format and/or high-volume laser or inkjet printers. Digital printing has a higher cost per page than more traditional offset printing methods, however it allows for on-demand printing, short turnaround time, and full customization.
Digital printing has many advantages over traditional methods. Some applications of note include:
- Desktop publishing – inexpensive home and office printing
- Variable data printing – database-driven print files for the mass personalization of printed materials
- Fine art – archival digital printing method which includes real photo paper exposure prints and giclée prints on watercolor paper using pigment based inks.
- Print on Demand – digital printing used for personalized printing. Example: Children’s books customized with a child’s name, photo books (such as wedding photo books), etc.
- Advertising – used for outdoor banner advertising and event signage, trade shows, in the retail sector at point of sale or point of purchase, in personalized direct mail campaigns and more.
- Photos – digital printing has revolutionized photo printing in terms of the ability to retouch and color correct a photograph before printing.
- Architectural Design – new media that conforms to a variety of surfaces has enabled interior and exterior spaces to be transformed using digitally printed wall murals and floor graphics
Offset printing uses three cylinders to transfer an image onto a substrate. The first cylinder is mounted with the printing plate. The image on the printing plate is ‘right’ reading or written with the right side up. The first cylinder is inked and the image transferred or offset onto the second cylinder, which is mounted with a rubber blanket. The image on the second cylinder is reversed or becomes ‘wrong’ reading. Finally the image is transferred from the blanket cylinder onto the third cylinder or the substrate. The substrate is mounted on the third cylinder also known as the impression cylinder. The image is once again is reversed and becomes ‘right’ reading or right side up in the final printed version.
Types of Offset Presses
Offset presses are primarily of two types:
- Sheet-fed Offset Printing Press: In this kind of offset press the printing is carried out on single sheets of paper as they are fed to the press one at a time.
- Web-fed Offset Printing Press: In this kind of offset press the printing is carried out on a single, continuous sheet of paper fed from a large roll. The sheet is then cut into individual sheets of desired sizes.
There are many more differences between the various types of offset presses.
Applications for Offset Printing
Offset printing touches every aspect of our lives, from influencing education through the printing of books, periodicals and other reading material, to the packaging industry by creative printing of packages for consumer goods.
Mechanical Binding (reports, directories, reference materials)
Die Cutting (ID badges, calendars, guide wheels, door hangers)
|Micro-Perforating (tear-off return cards) – 32 teeth per inch|
|High-Speed Shrink Wrapping (retail items, catalogue mailing, components bundling) – Crossed link films and biodegradable films available|
High-Speed Laminating (menus, ID badges, reference flip cards, retail shelf hangers)
Tipping (promotional products)
Transfer Taping (signs)
Index Tab Cutting (binder dividers)
High-Speed Drilling (3-ring binder filler, calendar nail hole)
- Data Security
- Custom Database Development
- Data Conversions
- List Maintenance
- On-Line Access
- Address Hygiene
- Postal Presort Discounts
- Secure FTP Site
- USPS Cass Certified
- Address Element Correction (AEC)
- List Suppression
- IMb Full Service
- Personal Account Representatives
- Direct Mail Consulting
- On-Site USPS Mail Processing
- Ink-Jet Addressing and Bar-coding
- Mailing List
- Mechanical Inserting
- Master Mail (9×12) Inserting
Direct Mail cont’d:
- Hand Assembly
- Automated Shrink Wrapping
- Wafer Sealing/Bump & Turn
- Cheshire Labeling
- Metering and Stamp Affixing
- Postal Sorting
- Warehousing Facilities
Kitting and Assembly Services:
- Logistics Management
- Hand Assembly
- Product Assembly
- Kitting (Kit Preparation)
- Automated Shrink-Wrapping
- Packing and Shipping
- Manual Glue Dotting
- Secure Warehousing